1. About IDSE
IDSE (International Diploma in Safety Engineering) is a Level 6 International Qualification which has been developed by PLI, certified by QUALIFI, UK and accredited by IOSH for GradIOSH Membership. This customized qualification has been designed for qualified and experienced professionals who have some safety and engineering roles in the organizations. The diploma is very unique and is much better than the available options because unlike other diploma in OH&S, it is based on skill oriented basic engineering knowledge necessary for day to day occupational safety and health affairs of the organizations along with the emphasis on continual improvement approach in Occupational Safety and Health (OH&S) Management systems.
2. Qualification Structure
The basic theme of this qualification is self study distance learning mode with trainer support through Skype, Whatsapp or telephone supports giving sufficient time, however center will conduct 5 days’ face to face revision classes to ensure the preparedness of the students.
The qualification has been carefully designed to meet industry requirements for occupational safety and health provisions. The existing diplomas in OH&S provide only generic information about occupational health and safety and are more information oriented. However, both units of IDSE have been designed in such a manner that the successful professionals of Unit 1 will be able to establish, implement, maintain, manage and continually improve the OH&S Management system based on any standard including OHSAS 18001 or ISO 45001.
Similarly, Unit 2 has given more emphasis on the engineering related skill, knowledge and information for the requirement of occupational safety and health provisions at the workplace. Unit 2 provides the professionals with the core knowledge of engineering which they can translate into skill base for engineering design assessments, material failure modes, incident investigations, reliability engineering, structure analysis, equipment selection, engineering risk assessments, engineering control designs and assessments, mathematical and geometric calculations and much more.
3. Reasons to choose IDSE
- It has 2 units assessed through 2 subjective type written exams (No reports/ Projects).
- The contents of IDSE are more professional and skill oriented.
- Assessments are more relevant and believe us, it will not be an English language test like other HSE Diploma s in the market.
- Result within 15 working days after the exam and certificates within 15 working days after the result (in case you qualify)
- You can sit both exam separately i.e. with a gap of 2 months to 12 months between both unit exams
- You can opt to have exam date of your choice (You will need to confirm exam date by payment and 4 weeks prior to your date of choice
- IDSE fee package is much competitive than other HSE level 6 diploma.
- It is being offered in Distance Learning mode so that you can study at your own pace. Our online trainer support will guide you whenever you will find any difficulty.
- It has eligibility criteria for registration. So all registered professional will meet the minimum eligibility criteria to ensure maximum pass rate for IDSE.
- Diploma awarding body is QUALIFI UK which is an Ofqual regulated largest Certification Body with a history of more than 150 years.
4. Syllabus for IDSE
Paper 1 – Achieving Continual Improvement in OH and S Management System
- Element 1: Assess the planning of an OH & S Management system from continual improvement perspective.
- Element 2: Assess the established and implemented OH & S management system from continual improvement perspective.
- Element 3: Review and assess the efficiency and effectiveness of the inspection and audit process for OH &S management system
- Element 4: Review and assess the efficiency and effectiveness of management review process for OH&S management system.
Paper 2 – Principle of application of science and technology in safety
- Element 1: Assess and apply basic principle of chemistry at workplace for occupational health and safety
- Element 2: Assess and apply basic principles of physics at workplace for occupational health and safety.
- Element 3: Assess various inspection techniques and their application for mechanical equipment
- Element 4: Assess the design of tools, equipment or structures for reliability for use in a given environment for an occupational health and safety aspects.
- Element 5: Assess the occupational safety and health risk from the electricity at the workplace.
- Element 6: Assess occupational health and safety risk from fire at the workplace.
- Element 7: Assess occupational health and safety risk from Nuclear and other radiation hazards.
- Element 8: Assess the biological health hazards at the workplace and application of suitable controls
- Element 9: Assess the significance of engineering controls against range of hazards at the workplace.
- Element 10: Assess the requirement of Information and Technology of occupational health and safety at the workplace.
- Element 11: Assess various mechanical devices used in the industries for occupational health and safety at the workplace.
5. Examination Pattern and Procedures
Both units of IDSE will be assess through an online non-invigilated Open Book Examination followed by closing interview/s to ensure that submitted work is learners’ own. Time to complete each unit exam will be 24 hours while additional 2 hours will be given for submission of the learners’ work through online medium. The learners/ prospective learners are advised not to be lulled into false sense of preparation that open book exams are easy and do not require prior studies/ research etc. While open book exams do not require mechanical memorization of any topic, they will test how effectively you apply your knowledge in a given situation, analyses for significant trends and patterns, evaluate the possible alternatives and create/innovate the solutions for continual improvement.
It will be pointless if you copy/paste from internet/digital books as it will not suffice the question’s requirements. For example learners will not be asked ‘what are the principles of risk management” in an open book exam but they will be asked to “Apply principles of risk management in a given problematic situation/ scenario”. In practical life, we all are often encountered with problems which require us to solve them in a manner open book exams are conducted rather than closed book exams. For any workplace problem, no one stops you to carry out research (internet, books etc.) in order to identify root causes and take corrective/ preventive measures. On the same principle, we have designed our assessments for both unit exams to test your critical thinking skills.
6. Eligibility Criteria
Unlike other Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety, IDSE requires candidate to meet any of the following criteria for registration. The criteria have been established so that only competent professional may apply for IDSE to increase the success rate of the qualification.
Level 3 certification in OH&S (IOSH accredited only) + 3 years OH&S experience
A graduate degree in Science subjects from reputable university + 3 years OH&S experience
Four years engineering degree from a reputable university
Note: The institute reserves the right refuse registration of student/s if the qualifications or experience have been either unverified or irrelevant in an assessor’s judgment.
7. Benefits of IOSH Membership
IOSH Membership are highly prestigious and valued across the globe for health and safety related roles. GradIOSH is awarded to professionals who meet the academic requirement (list of qualification given in IOSH website) in OH & S. The IDSE has been accredited by IOSH for Graduate Membership. The successful candidate of IDSE can directly apply for Grad IOSH (after paying requisite fees).
8. How to become GradIOSH
To be recommended for Graduate Member status, you should hold one of the accredited qualifications or a cognate degree. You don’t have to have a specific level of experience in health and safety. Provided you have an appropriate qualification, you’ll become a Graduate Member. All Graduate Members join our Initial Professional Development (IPD) scheme. IPD will take between two and five years to complete. If you successfully finish IPD, we’ll recommend that you’re awarded Chartered membership. This is the only route to Chartered membership.
Graduate Members must keep up to date with their CPD. Please visit www.iosh.co.uk for further information on IOSH Membership levels and their benefits.
9. Admission to M.Sc in occupational Health and Safety Management
IDSE qualification is accepted as entry qualification to M.Sc in Occupational Health and safety Management in University of Loughborough, UK (www.lboro.ac.uk)